Metalworking is a great way to make the most of your time. It's also a great way to make money if you have the right tools and know-how. One of the most common ways to make money from your metallurgical skills is to cut and rework different types of scrap metal into new usable parts. There are many types of discs to cut, and some are better than others. If you want to start cutting metal with your own tools as a hobby or part-time, you need to know which cutting disc is right for you.
How to use this guide
You are reading a guide to metalworking. This guide consists of four main parts, each with subsections containing relevant information:
- What is a cutting disc? In this section, we will see what a cutting disc is and how to choose the one that suits your needs.
- Types of discs to be cut This section describes the different types of discs to be cut and their differences. We will also see what type of disc suits you best depending on the work you want to cut.
- Cutting disc with blades In this section we will talk about cutting discs with blades and their use. We will also see how to choose the right blade for your job, as well as the causes of blade damage.
- Disc Cutting Disc In this section, we will talk about disc cutting discs and the best discs for beginners. We will also see how to choose the right disk for your work, as well as the causes of disk damage.
- Spiral cutting disc In this section, we will discuss spiral cutting discs and their use. We will also see what can damage the disk and how to choose the right disk.
What is a cutting disc?
Cutting discs are machines used to cut metal parts out of metal sheets. Depending on the type of disc you choose, you can remove the metal in one continuous piece or in several pieces at once. This is useful if you want to separate a large piece of metal into small parts, or if you want to make several cuts at once. There are many types of cutting discs, each with its own applications. We will break down the different types and explain what they are for and when to use them.
Types of discs to be cut
- Blade for jigsaw
- Disc cutting disc
- Special metal and stainless steel abrasive strips
- Other types of cutting discs
Cutting blades for metal
A blade cutting disc uses blades to cut the metal in the sheet metal. This type of cut is ideal when you want to make a series of straight cuts. Jigsaw blades are made of steel:
- Bi-metal steel "BiM"
- Carbon steel "HCS"
- Hardened steel "HSS"
This type of blade is ideal for making a series of straight cuts.
Disc cutting disc
A cutting disc uses a disc to separate the metal from the sheet metal. This type of disc is ideal for separating irregular shapes, as well as separating large parts of metal in one go. This type of disc is ideal for separating irregular shapes or large amounts of metal at once.
Abrasive tape or tape for metal
An abrasive tape or tape to sand and start sheet metal or metal, in your welding work or to clean your newly cut metal parts using a cutting disc. This tape has a set of granules dipped in a thick ribbon that rotates around an axis and driven by a motor. By separating the metal from the sheet metal, the tape cleans and sands the metal. This type of tape is ideal for separating sanding steels, stainless steel, aluminum. The coating and binder follow the same principle as the cutting discs. You will have zirconium or corindine rumble strips, with resin to bind the grains.
Other ways to cut metal
You can use power tools like the laser cutting machine or electric arc cutting. For those who do not have too much means, the good old hacksaw.
Be aware that the electric jigsaw is a versatile tool because you can change the blades quickly for cutting other materials than metal. Also, you can cut zigzagging.
There is also metal shear, for cutting thin sheet, zinc, aluminum.